Verified Beef Production (VBP) is part of a broad, global trend in food production, both in Canada and internationally, toward verified food safety standards.
This includes many on-farm food safety management programs in different sectors of food production implemented in Canada and major food production countries around the world. Click on the links below to learn more about provincial VBP programs, other national on-farm food safety programs and key affiliates.
Provincial VBP programs
- British Columbia. BC VBP
- Alberta. Alberta Beef Quality Starts Here
- Saskatchewan. Sask Quality Starts Here
- Ontario. Ontario Quality Starts Here
Other national on-farm food safety programs
- Dairy. Dairy Farmers of Canada. Canadian Quality Milk.
- Pork. Canadian Pork Council. Pork CQA.
- Sheep. Canadian Sheep Federation. Canadian Sheep and Lamb Food-Safe Farm Practices.
- Chicken. Chicken Farmers of Canada. Safe, Safer, Safest.
- Bison. Canadian Bison Association, Canadian Quality Bison Program.
- Grain. Canada Grains Council, Canadian On Farm Food Safety Strategic Plan.
- Horticulture. Canadian Horticultural Council. On-Farm Food Safety for Fruit and Vegetables
Beef Research and National Initiatives
- Beef Cattle Research Council.
- Canadian Cattle Identification Agency.
- BIXS. Voluntary web-based info system to capture and exchange data for beef cattle operations
Beef Cattle Operations
- Beef Product Information. Canada Beef Inc.
- Canada Beef YouTube Channel
- Canada Beef Twitter Website
Canadian On-Farm Food Safety Working Group
The Canadian On-Farm Food Safety (COFFS) Working Group was formed by the national commodity groups and general farm organizations as a forum for research into and the collaborative development of initiatives related to the national commodity-specific on-farm food safety programs and the Canadian approach to on-farm food safety. Learn more on the COFFS Web site.
Quality Starts Here
The VBP program grew from its roots in the Quality Starts Here (QSH) program, an educational initiative started by the Canadian Cattlemen's Association to help the beef industry move toward the highest beef quality in the world.
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) leads a process, with provincial and territorial participation, to provide government recognition for industry-developed on-farm food safety programs. Learn more on the CFIA Web site.
- Australia. Australia Livestock Production Assurance.
- USA. Beef Quality Assurance.
- Montana. Montana Beef Quality Assurance.
- Nebraska. Nebraska Beef Quality Assurance.
- Minnesota. Montana Beef Quality Assurance.
- Virginia. Montana Beef Quality Assurance.